Friday, May 15, 2009

Erika

From Erika:

I was so happy to come upon your blog. I think it serves such an important purpose -- and one I didn't know existed before I had a baby of my own. I grew up in a very large family where breastfeeding was the norm. I was around babies being breastfed by aunts, cousins, my mom, etc. all through my childhood. So when I was expecting my first child, I didn't even think of formula as an option. Not only was it the feeding experience I was most familiar with, but as an engineer it seemed like the natural choice. Why do humans have breasts except to feed their young? Aren't we mammals, after all? Unfortunately, that thinking almost did me in!

My daughter was born about 9 months ago. I didn't do any preparation for breastfeeding prior to her birth. It seemed that if it was the natural choice, it should come naturally. Wow was I in for a surprise! Those first few days in the hospital, it hurt a lot when she latched on. Toe-curling pain. Several of the hospital's lactation consultants stopped by to help. With the pain I was experiencing, I was sure that we were doing something wrong. Every time an LC visited, however, I was assured that her latch looked great. I called my sister for advice, since she'd had a baby one year earlier. But she told me she hadn't had any pain. I shouldered on, unwilling to quit. As the days and weeks went by, the pain eased a bit and wasn't lasting quite so long. Success! Apparently I was one of those people with extra-sensitive nipples. Who knew? After about 5 weeks we were doing great. No pain, C. was gaining weight and nursing eagerly.

Then we hit the 6-week growth spurt. I had no idea why my daughter who used to eat so eagerly was pulling off my breast every minute or two and crying. Did I eat something and the milk tastes bad? Was she sick? Did I run out of milk? What was it? After struggling for 2 days, I remember it was a Sunday evening. I took the crying baby from my breast, walked to my husband and handed the baby to him. "She's yours," was all I said. I cried for a few minutes, feeling like a complete failure. I was thinking about where I should go to buy her some formula. And on a hunch I decided to call a local LC. On a Sunday evening. Thank goodness she answered. I explained my struggles and she told me about the 6-week growth spurt. So this was normal! She told me to grin and bear it and it would be over in a few days. She was right. We have never looked back.

I'm so happy I struggled through those first few months when breastfeeding was painful and lasted 45 minutes at each feeding. I used to be jealous of the formula-fed babies because Dad could take some nighttime feedings. At this stage though, breastfeeding is so easy! I can't imagine having to function enough at 3 am to prep a bottle. With breastfeeding, she is fed and I'm back in bed in less than 10 minutes.

I tell all of my new-mom friends my experience because I think it is important not to confuse natural with easy.

2 comments:

  1. I love your last sentence! So true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also surprised at how painful it was at the beginning! The LCs at the breastfeeding support group I went to said it would go away after a couple of weeks. For me, it lasted almost 5 weeks! I think you nailed it when you said you just had sensitive nipples. Luckily for us, they do toughen up eventually!

    ReplyDelete